Local News Coast Guard: 33 bodies recovered from Conception boat fire, 1 still missing KSBY Staff – KSBY San Luis Obispo News
U.S. Coast Guard officials announced Wednesday morning they have recovered all but one of the 34 bodies crews have been searching for following Monday’s deadly boat fire off the coast of Santa Cruz Island.
Coast Guard Lt. Zach Farrell tells the Associated Press that 13 bodies were recovered Tuesday.
Dive teams are continuing to look for the one person still missing.
Farrell spoke to the AP on behalf of an inter-agency joint information center representing local, county, state and federal officials.
On Tuesday, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said 20 bodies had been recovered and taken to the coroner’s office. Dive teams spent Tuesday searching for the 14 missing people remaining.
The Conception dive boat caught fire before dawn on Monday. Authorities previously said 34 people aboard who were below decks sleeping were presumed dead and that five crew members including the captain escaped.
The NTSB will hold a press conference briefing the media and the public on the latest on its investigation into what happened aboard the Conception, why and how to prevent such a tragedy from occuring ever again.