One suspect dead, one in custody after chase, standoff in San Jose – The Mercury News

A follow-up report to this story has been posted here.

SAN JOSE — One suspect was fatally shot by police and another was in custody after a hostage was released unharmed following a low-speed pursuit of a hijacked UPS truck by South Bay law-enforcement officers Thursday night.

A body bag was visible in a parking lot at the southeast corner of First Street and Trimble Road. San Jose police confirmed a fatal police shooting late Thursday night, and called a Friday afternoon news conference to provide additional details.

According to reports, the chase began near Pearl and Chynoweth avenues in San Jose, with the suspect firing at pursuing officers.

The suspects abandoned the car at some point, carjacking a UPS truck and taking the driver hostage before fleeing with police in pursuit.

According to several observers, the pursuit involved multiple marked and unmarked law enforcement vehicles along Highway 87 north from Communications Hill before exiting onto city streets. Officers from the San Jose Police Department and Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office were involved in the incident.

The truck eventually stopped near the intersection of First Street and Trimble Road with dozens of police cars at the scene. The area is home to some of the biggest names in technology, with offices nearby for PayPal, eBay, Google and others.

A long line of San Jose police vehicles blocked North First Street, and restaurant and retail patrons huddled behind closed doors while heavily armed police swarmed the area and the standoff unfolded.

Just before 6:30 p.m., KGO-TV Channel 7 said that a person who had been held hostage inside the truck was released and at least one suspect had exited the truck and was in custody. Police on the scene told this news organization that a suspect was in custody.

Shortly before 7 p.m., a second suspect attempted to flee the vehicle, pointing a weapon at officers, who fired once.

At one point, friends of the suspect reportedly approached police at the corner of First Street and Component Drive, saying they had the suspect on their mobile phone. They told media they had asked police to pass along the word that the suspect, whom they described as a “two-striker,” wanted to surrender.

Shortly after 8 p.m., sheriff’s deputies described the scene as secure with no law enforcement officers suffering injury before thanking other agencies for assistance .


CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the video on a mobile device


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*